Daytona Beach, FL – Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s (ERAU) Daytona Beach Campus will soon congratulate its largest-ever class of graduates at the upcoming Spring 2018 Commencement Ceremony.
An estimated 770 students will receive diplomas during the ERAU Commencement Ceremony that begins at 10 AM on Monday, May 7, at the Ocean Center located at 101 N. Atlantic Ave. in Daytona Beach. The class of 770 features traditional spring graduates, students earning more than one degree, previous graduates unable to walk in other ceremonies, and summer prospective graduates. These soon-to-be graduates represent the Colleges of Arts & Sciences, Aviation, Business, and Engineering,
According to ERAU, 100 students will be receiving their master’s degrees and three students will be receiving Ph.Ds. The Ph.D. students have earned their doctoral degrees in Aviation, Engineering Physics, and Human Factors. The three Ph.D. students include:
- Shayn Savage Davidson, Ph.D. in Human Factors (dissertation title: A Multi-Dimensional Model of Enjoyment: Development and Validation of an Enjoyment Scale)
- Derek Hoffman, Ph.D. in Engineering Physics (dissertation title: Nonlinear Control of Underactuated and Constrained Systems)
- Robert L. Thomas, Ph.D. in Aviation (dissertation title: Effect of Active Learning on Instrument Rated Pilots’ Knowledge and Self-Efficacy).
The 2018 graduating class also includes 67 military commissions: 27 from Air Force ROTC, 23 from Army ROTC, and 17 from Navy/Marine Corps ROTC.
The ceremony will be streamed live at portal.stretchinternet.com/erauadmin to accommodate those friends and family unable to attend in-person. The stream will be available online for a period of time after the ceremony is over. ERAU says that tickets are not required for entry, however, reserved seating is available for purchase. Further information about the ceremony can be found here.
The scheduled guest speaker at the May 7 Commencement Ceremony is ERAU Board of Trustee Joseph “Joe” Martin. Martin is retired co-chairman and vice chairman of the Board of Directors of Fairchild Semiconductor Corp. He also served as the company’s executive vice president and chief financial officer. He graduated from ERAU with a Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautics and received his MBA from the University of Maine.
Martin was named 2002 CFO of the Year by CFO Magazine for his leadership during the spinout of Fairchild from National Semiconductor. Martin also served as the vice president of finance for National Semi-Conductor’s Worldwide Operations where he oversaw all operating divisions, manufacturing sites, and corporate financial planning. Martin also founded VTC Inc. and served as its senior vice president and chief financial officer.
Martin is also a U.S. Army veteran. He was a helicopter pilot and held the title of captain while he served two tours of duty in Vietnam. His military honors include the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Purple Heart, two Bronze Stars, 22 Air Medals, and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry.
From 2002 to 2005, Martin served on ERAU’s President’s Council. In 2005, he was elected to ERAU’s Board of Trustees. He is the Treasurer, chairman of the Finance Committee, vice-chairman of the Investment Committee, co-chairman of the Development Committee, and a member of the Committee on Trustees, Audit, Executive, and Facilities & Capital Planning Committees. Martin is also involved with three publicly traded companies. One of which includes serving as chairman of the board at Brooks Automation Inc., a company that provides automation and cryogenic solutions for life sciences and semiconductor manufacturing.
The following list includes other Commencement-related ceremonies, courtesy ERAU:
Friday, May 4:
- Army ROTC Commissioning Ceremony – Cadets of the Eagle Battalion will take the oath of office to commission as second lieutenants in the U.S. Army at 10 AM in the Henderson Welcome Center. A reception will be held following the ceremony.
Sunday, May 6:
- Master’s Hooding Ceremony – The ceremony will be held at 10 AM in the ICI Center. Dr. Dawna Rhoades, professor and chair of Management, Marketing and Operations in the College of Business, is the featured speaker. A reception following the ceremony will be held for students and their guests.
- Air Force ROTC Commissioning Ceremony – Detachment 157 will commission its cadets as second lieutenants in the U.S. Air Force with a ceremony beginning at 1 PM in the ICI Center, followed by a reception.
Monday, May 7:
- U.S. Navy/Marine Corps ROTC Commissioning Ceremony – Embry–Riddle’s NROTC Battalion will host its spring commissioning ceremony at 3 PM in the Henderson Welcome Center. Graduating midshipmen will take the oath of office to commission as ensigns in the Navy or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps. A reception will be held following the ceremony.
Photo courtesy hxdbzxy and Shutterstock.com.
Copyright Southern Stone Communications 2018.