Coaster Victims Hires Local Law Firm To Represent Them

By on June 18, 2018 in WNDB News

Daytona Beach, FL – It looks like some of the victims in last week’s rollercoaster derailment at the Daytona Beach Boardwalk are poised to file a lawsuit.

Central Florida law firm Morgan & Morgan will hold a press conference this morning on behalf of three people who hired the law firm to represent them in the matter.

Dan Morgan – an attorney with the firm – says one of their clients is a woman who fell 34 feet from the Sand Blaster after the coaster came completely off the rails.

“Make no mistake,” Morgan added. “There is no question there was a failure of this particular roller coaster. This event would not have happened had there not been a failure.”

Morgan also noted that their clients’ injuries will be in the millions of dollars and that this was a “forseeable failure” which should have been prevented.

“Our clients will continue to live with the consequences of this failure for the rest of their lives,” Morgan noted. “Their injuries are severe. Their injuries are significant. Their injuries are going to likely last a lifetime.”

Meanwhile, the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services is still mum about what led to 10 people hospitalized after riding the 45-year-old Sand Blaster, including two who were thrown to the ground from around 30 feet in the air.

During a gubernatorial campaign stop over the weekend, Agriculture & Consumer Services Commissioner Adam Putnam says a recent inspection cleared the coaster to resume operation hours before the accident.

“We are investigating that now to determine whether the accident was caused by items that were related to the prior deficiencies or something completely new,” Putnam added.

The three rollercoaster cars involved were removed from the Boardwalk over the weekend, with workers needing a blowtorch to separate the cars.

The Sand Blaster was the subject of a stop operation order by state inspectors last year after inspectors found problems with the handrails, safety cables, braces and cracks in the support. In addition, two seats weren’t properly secured.

The Sand Blaster opened on the Boardwalk in 2013 after being purchased from a closed amusement park in Delaware.

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Comments are closed.

Top