DeLand, FL - Investigators obtain 17 arrest warrants and apprehend 16 individuals who are now facing drug charges in an operation launched following a string of homicides in West Volusia.
The Volusia Sheriff's Office (VSO) launched the operation and targeted high-crime locations in the DeLand and Deltona areas. Investigators say the operation was prompted by violent crime, including a recent string of homicides in these areas.
Since last Friday (April 24), deputies have investigated the deaths of 27-year-old Clifton Hafner of New Smyrna Beach, who was shot in Spring Hill; and 23-year-old Marvin Keith Evans III of Sanford, who was found shot dead in Deltona.
Deputies have since obtained 17 arrest warrants connected to this operation—known as Operation "Sales-2-Cells"—resulting from ongoing investigations of drug sales. Between Thursday and Friday (April 29, 30), law enforcement made 16 arrests and seized a 9mm handgun and an array of narcotics, including:
47 grams of fentanyl
2.7 grams of heroin
5.1 grams of methamphetamine
14 grams of crack cocaine
84 Oxycodone/acetaminophen tablets (39 grams)
73 Oxycodone 30 mg tablets (7.3 grams)
16 clonazepam tablets
The 16 defendants and their charges are:
- Antwon Smiley, 33: Federal warrant for possession of a firearm by convicted felon; additionally charged with armed trafficking in fentanyl, armed trafficking in Oxycodone, possession of a firearm by convicted felon, possession of ammunition by a convicted felon, possession of crack cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of meth with intent to distribute and possession of a schedule IV substance with intent to distribute
- Tyson Ross, 31: Sale and delivery of heroin
- Jason Dobson, 36: 2 counts, sale and delivery of schedule II substance within 1,000 feet of a park
- Brandon Williams, 31: Failure to appear for possession of heroin
- Adam Hornung, 40: Possession of methamphetamine and violation of probation for possession of meth
- Robert Rodriguez, 29: Possession of schedule II substance, driving while license suspended
- Brandon Harris, 35: Sale and delivery of crack cocaine within 1,000 feet of a park, trafficking in Oxycodone, possession of crack cocaine with intent to distribute
- Shawn Ingle, 50: Trafficking in Fentanyl
- Freddie Farley, 58: 2 counts, sale and delivery of a schedule II substance within 1,000 feet of a park
- Eileen Foley, 59: Sale and delivery of crack cocaine
- Tasha Green, 35: Sale and delivery of crack cocaine
- Kenyonte Grimes, 18*: Sale and delivery of crack cocaine within 1,000 feet of a park, violation of probation
- Juvenile, 17*: Sale and delivery of Crack Cocaine within 1,000 feet of a park
- Rhonda Schnidt, 34: 2 counts, sale and delivery of schedule II substance within 1,000 feet of a park
- Michael Lortos, 41: Sale and delivery of heroin
- Troy Nisbett, 45: Sale and delivery of heroin
*Mugshots are not available for these individuals
According to an email from VSO, more arrests are expected to come.