Volusia County Tax Collector To Supply Birth Certificates


DeLand, FL - Volusia County Tax Collector Will Roberts is working to expand the office and begins tomorrow (March 5) with a new option to get a certified copy of a birth certificate. The service will start at the DeLand office. Later this spring, they will be available at Tax Collector Offices in Orange City and New Smyrna Beach.

“Our residents are looking for convenience,” Roberts said. “They don’t want to travel from place to place to get related services. That’s why we are offering birth certificates in the same location as hunting and fishing licenses and vehicle registration services.”

Roberts said the expansion will increase convenience while decreasing the confusion of where to go.

“The addition of issuing birth certificates can be very helpful to our customers who come in for tag and title services,” Roberts added. “Sometimes customers need multiple forms of identification to complete a transaction. If a customer needs a birth certificate, we are able to provide that on the spot instead of sending the customer away to gather more proof of identification. It’s one more way we can improve the experience for our residents.”

Future plans include co-locating drivers licenses and concealed weapons permits with services already in place, including hunting and fishing licenses, vehicle (tag and title) registrations and property tax services.

The Tax Collector will provide certified birth certificates at the same cost as the Florida Department of Health (FDOH). The cost will be $15 for the first copy and $8 for additional copies of the same birth certificate.

Birth certificates will be available by appointment or on a walk-in basis. To save time, citizens can make an appointment online at vctaxcollector.org.

The rules to get a birth certificate are the same as those used by the Florida Department of Health. They are confidential in the state of Florida and can only be issued to the registrant if 18 years or older, parents listed on the birth certificate, or a guardian with guardianship papers.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment