VCSB To Vote On Superintendent's Exit Agreement And New Contract


DeLand, FL - The Volusia County School Board will be looking at the exit agreement for outgoing Superintendent of Schools Tom Russell and the contract agreement for interim School Superintendent Tim Egnor during today's Board meeting.

School Board Chair Carl Persis said that Florida State Statutes allows a maximum of 20 weeks severance pay, which totals $68,700. Because Russell was terminated prior to the end of his contract, that severance pay amount is mandatory.

With $122,000 in accrued leave, $44,000 in deferred compensation and a $9,600 performance bonus from two years ago, Russell's exit agreement totals $244,300. His health, dental and life insurance continue through September. Also, when the state of Florida releases district and school grades later this summer, Russell will be eligible for another performance bonus based on that information.

Russell's payout is expected to be ratified at today's meeting with his last day happening this Thursday.

Also on the agenda, the approval of a contract for the interim School Superintendent Tim Egnor. He will begin as an Administrator on Assignment while working with Russell through the transition. His tenure is expected to expire in January. His salary will be prorated at Russell's annual salary of $175,000.

Egnor and Russell will be working together, along with senior staff, today, tomorrow and Thursday to ensure a smooth transition. Egnor takes over as Superintendent on Monday, July 1, the same day Russell begins a new job as the principal of Flagler Palm Coast High School.

Also on today's agenda will be a discussion on how to best implement a new grading formula. Persis said the new formula pertains to courses in which students are required by the state to take an end of course exam. The state recommends using the first two grading periods to average the first semester grade and the third and fourth periods to average the second semester grade. Those two averages comprise 70 percent of a course grade with the end of course exam comprising the other 30 percent. Persis said that he believes the state's grading formula will help students.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment