GOP Holds Primary Ballot Lead In Volusia & Flagler


Daytona Beach, FL - Will it be a blue wave or a red tide on August 28th?

With four days before Florida's Primary Election Day and at the roughly halfway point in early voting for Volusia and Flagler, the initial numbers are shaping up favorably for Republicans in both counties.

The GOP does have more registered voters than Democrats in both counties, though each county also has a sizable number of registered voters who don't affiliate with a political party or are affiliated with other parties.

The statistics below are current as of close of business yesterday (August 23rd). Provisional ballots are not included.


Registered GOP voters make up 47% of the 50,992 ballots cast so far, according to the Supervisor of Elections Office.

23,967 Republicans have already voted, with 19,054 doing so with a mail ballot and the remaining 4,913 through early voting, which started last Saturday (August 18th) and ends this coming Sunday (August 26th).

On the registered Democrat side, 19,331 have cast ballots, with the majority (14,498) doing so through the mail and the rest (4,833) by early voting. They make up 38% of votes.

The other 15% (7,694) come from voters with other parties or independents, with the vast majority doing so through the mail (6,788) and the rest through early voting (906).

Mailed ballots have dominated in Volusia so far, making up 79% of all submissions (40,340). The other 21% have gone through early voting (10,652).

New Smyrna Beach Regional Library has been the busiest of the five early voting sites, with 2,706 ballots cast there, making up 25% of the early vote. Ormond Beach Regional Library is second with 2,206 (21%), followed by City Island Library in Daytona Beach's 2,083 (20%), Deltona Regional Library's 1,859 (17%) and 1,798 through the Volusia County Administration Building in DeLand (17%).

Yesterday's total of 2,010 is the first time so far that over 2,000 early votes were submitted in a day, though last Tuesday (1,984) and Monday (1,983) came close. 1,911 took advantage of the first day of early voting, with Wednesday (1,788) and Sunday (976) bringing up the rear.

13% of the county's 393,999 registered voters have cast ballots at this point.

For a sample ballot in Volusia, click here.


11,211 of the county's 81,561 registered voters have voted so far, according to the Supervisor of Elections Office, with Republicans (6,052) leading Democrats (4,150), no party affiliation (991) or other parties (18).

Only 14% of registered voters have cast ballots. Of those voters, Republicans (54%) enjoy a sizable advantage percentage-wise over Democrats (37%), with the other categories making up the remaining 9%.

Mailed ballots (54%) have the lead so far over early voters (46%), though the difference between them is less than 1,000 votes (6,025 and 5,186, respectively).

Of the county's three early voting sites, Flagler County Public Library in Palm Coast has seen 45% of early voters (2,342), followed by Palm Coast Community Center (1,578 - 30%) and the Supervisor of Elections Office in Bunnell (1,266 - 25%).

Early voting ends in Flagler on Saturday.

For a sample ballot in Flagler, click here.



No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment