DeLand PD Arrest 4 In Robbery Following Standoff

Cameron Brown
(Volusia County Jail)

UPDATE (04-09-19): DeLand PD Chief Jason Umberger has identified the standoff suspect as 19-year-old Cameron Brown. He's been charged with armed robbery.

One of the other three suspects arrested - 23-year-old Codey Brown - is the biological brother of Cameron, according to Umberger. Also in custody is 21-year-old Ryan Mackey and a 16-year-old male WNDB is not naming due to his age. All three of them are charged with principle to armed robbery.

According to the arrest report, all four approached a man and woman at the bus station. It was Cameron who implied he had a gun and ripped the backpack from the grasp of one of the victims - a female - when she wouldn't give it to him.

All four fled the scene in a silver Chrysler 200 which was tracked to the home on Fatio Road, where Cameron lived.

A search of the residence afterward turned up two firearms inside one of the bathrooms along with marijuana and other "contraband" items, per the report.

A DeLand PD captain also told reporters during the briefing that the attack didn't appear to be random and that the victims and suspects may know one another, but it's not clear at this point if that's the case or what the exact motive was.

Earlier reporting below.

DeLand, FL - A lengthy police standoff in DeLand finally comes to an end.

Tear gas was used by the Volusia County Sheriff's Office to subdue a man wanted for a suspected armed robbery yesterday afternoon (April 8th) near Melching Field.

That man - yet to be identified by authorities - finally surrendered around 4:30 this morning at a home on Fatio Road north of Beresford Road.

It all started at the Intermodal Transit Facility on East Euclid Avenue around 4 p.m. yesterday, according to the DeLand Police Department.

"A man approached [a couple] and implied he had a weapon," stated DeLand PD spokesperson Chris Graham. "The suspect took a backpack before fleeing the scene."

Witnesses told officers that man fled in a vehicle and provided a partial tag number.

Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood says the suspect eventually holed up inside a crawl space at that home on Fatio Road after he was spotted nearby in his vehicle.

"He started texting his dad," Chitwood noted. "He was waiting for the SWAT guys to come through the door. He was going to kill them. He was then going to kill himself."

Several other people - including three other suspects - fled the home before the standoff began when officers took possession of the vehicle.

SWAT finally went inside the home after the suspect told deputies he was trapped in the crawl space, according to Chitwood.

"I think the tear gas got the better part of him," Chitwood added. "He let us know that [he] can't get out of where [he is] at."

Nearby homes were evacuated by VCSO and DeLand PD during the standoff and residents were asked to stay away until the situation was resolved.

No injuries were reported.



No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment