Convicted Child Sex Offender Remains Free On Bond

Posted

Daytona Beach, FL - The freedom of a convicted child sex offender is in the hands of the judge who granted him bond while his case is under appeal. Mark Fugler was in court yesterday (October 3) on a motion by State Attorney R.J. Larizza to revoke the $200,000 bond set by Senior Judge R. Michael Hutcheson last month. The judge said he wants to review the information and will make a ruling sometime next week.

During yesterday's hearing, the State Attorney made the case that the 61-year-old does not have significant ties to the community and is a flight risk. Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood, who has made it clear that he disagrees with the judge's decision to allow bond, said in a Facebook post, "I hope he makes the right decision, and I hope it happens soon. Whatever he decides, I believe we have to continue to fight to change the law that allowed him the discretion to release Fugler in the first place."

During a press conference last month, Chitwood said the fact that Fugler is free is not fair to the victim's family. "I'm tired of hearing about the defendant. Screw him. What about the victim and the rest of her life?" Chitwood asked.

Chitwood will be joining advocates and several representatives of survivors of sexual abuse tomorrow (October 5) morning at 8 a.m. at City Island Park to "lend my voice to a cause I believe is right."

featured

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment