Battery Charge Upped To Murder Charge

Chief: several witnesses heard the violence, but did not contact the police


DeLand, FL - The death of a victim in a battery case leads to a man's charge being upgraded to first-degree murder.

Last Friday (December 6th), DeLand police responded to the Dixie Lodge off of Woodland Boulevard after receiving reports of a woman who was not breathing.

When officers arrived, it was very apparent that the woman had been brutally beaten. She had severe swelling around her eyes, nose and left ear as well as a laceration to her forehead. Investigators later found out she had multiple facial fractures as a result of the attack.

The victim, 27-year-old Kimberly Iverson, was revived on the scene before being transported to the hospital. There is where she remained on life support, until her passing yesterday (December 9th). An autopsy that was carried out earlier today (December 10) showed that her cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head.

Based on the results of the investigation, DeLand police determined that the injuries Iverson sustained came from her live-in boyfriend, 31-year-old Christopher Parker, who viciously assaulted her.

During interviews with investigators, Parker couldn't keep a consistent story about what happened before police arrived. The investigation also shows that he made attempts to tamper with and clean the scene.

Now that Iverson has passed away, the DeLand Police Department said that they are looking to upgrade Parker's original charge of battery to first-degree murder.

"It goes without saying that this is a heinous crime and we will work with the State Attorney’s office to ensure that justice is served for Iverson and Parker is punished to the fullest extent of the law," said DeLand Police Chief Jason Umberger at a press conference. "If you are a victim of domestic violence, please know that we as a community and police department are here to help you."

Chief Umberger also stated that their investigation showed that several witnesses heard the violence from Friday night, but no one came forward to contact the police.

"Had the individuals who heard the strange sounds contacted police, Ms. Iverson may very well still be alive today," said Chief Umberger


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment