7 Hour Standoff Ends With Arrest Of Wounded Suspect

FDLE to investigate officer-involved shooting, says police department


Daytona Beach, FL - A 7 hour standoff comes to an end with the arrest of a wounded suspect who fired at officers conducting a patrol early Monday morning.

The Daytona Beach Police Department says 25-year-old Joseph Calvin Jaynes II surrendered to officers just before 8:00 a.m. Before then, the DBPD had been searching for Jaynes since he disappeared into a wooded area after firing on officers.

The report from the DBPD says officers were doing extra patrols in the area of Westside Elementary—which saw a delay to the start of the school day because of the standoff—when they spotted an open garage door in the 1600 block of Piccadilly Drive around 12:30 this morning. Officers then heard a gunshot from the east of the location.

It’s when officers began to investigate the gunshots that Jayne started to fire on police as he was walking around the backyards of homes in the area. Officers then returned fire. At some point, Jayne retreated into a wooded area and fired more shots at police.

Several hours later, Jayne crawled into the back of a truck parked near a canal close to the intersection of Laurel Drive and 6th street. It was from the back of the truck that Jayne called 911 around 4 a.m. to report that he had a leg injury and needed help.

The DBPD says officers and dispatchers attempted to communicate with Jaynes during that time, but he kept hanging up. Jaynes additionally called family members during that time.

Around 6 a.m. Jaynes crawled out of the truck and laid on the ground until police took him into custody.

Prior to the incident, the DBPD was called out to the neighborhood several times over the weekend to handle a dispute between Jaynes and a roommate of his.

Jaynes will be booked into the Volusia County Branch Jail once he is medically cleared. He’s now facing 10 felony counts of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer.

No officers were injured during this incident. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has been called in to investigate the shooting portion of the incident. The officers involved in the shooting will be placed on paid administrative leave, per department policy.