Flagler County, FL – Members of the Flagler County School Board decided on four finalists last week to replace Jacob Oliva, who announced he is leaving for a post with the Florida Department of Education at the end of the current school year, but one of the finalists has since withdrawn their application.
Out of the 41 people that submitted applications, Board members decided to interview the following people:
- James Tager, current principal at Atlantic High School in Port Orange, Volusia County.
- Jeffrey Umbaugh, administrator with Clay County Schools.
- Dr. Phyllis Edwards, former Superintendent of Decatur (GA) City Schools.
- Dr. Gerald Wilson, former Superintendent of Worcester (MD) County Schools.
However, only three candidates remain after Dr. Edwards informed the Board that she was withdrawing her application.
On Wednesday, April 19th, all three candidates will take part in a community “Meet and Greet”. This will be held at the Buddy Taylor Middle School Cafeteria from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
On Thursday, April 20th they will then be interviewed by the entire school board. The interviews will be held in Training Room 3 at the Government Services Building.
All meetings and interviews will be open to the public. Flagler Schools will also stream the interviews on the District Website, flagerschools.com. The interview schedule is as follows:
- Jeffrey Umbaugh 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM
- Dr. Gerald Wilson 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- James Tager 1:30PM – 3:00 PM
At 6:00 PM that night, the candidates will also attend the annual Senior Scholarship ceremony at Flagler Auditorium.
On the final day, Friday, April 21st, the three finalists will be interviewed by each individual School Board member in one-on-one sessions. The interviews will take place in the Superintendents Office and Conference Room, Curriculum Department (third floor of the Government Services Building), Technology Department (second floor) and the Office of Student and Community Engagement (first floor).
The session times are as follows:
- Session One 8:15 AM – 9:15 AM
- Session Two 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM
- Session Three 10:35 AM – 11:45 AM
- Lunch 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- Session Four 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Session Five 2:15 PM – 3:15 PM
On May 2nd, at 9:00 AM, a workshop will be dedicated to the Superintendent search in Training Room 3. At 6:00 PM, a Special Board Meeting will be held inside the Board Chambers in the Government Services Building; there they will determine the next Superintendent to lead the Flagler County School District.
Photo courtesy of shutterstock.com and Brian A. Jackson.
Copyright Southern Stone Communications 2017.