Palm Coast Home Sustains Significant Damage After Chimney Fire

By on December 14, 2017 in WNDB News

Palm Coast, FL – A Thursday morning fire has significantly damaged a family’s home on Wellstream Lane in Palm Coast.

At around 1:30 AM, firefighters arrived on-scene to the 68 Wellstream Lane home. The fire was burning in the attic and blowing out the roof near the chimney. A couple, their 3 children, and the family cat were able to get to safety with no injuries reported.

Firefighters were able to save most of the home and the surrounding property, but the house did sustain heavy damage to the point where the home is no longer safe to live in. The family was able to stay with a neighbor but the American Red Cross will now assist them.

(Photo courtesy of Flagler County)

To help prevent fire disasters, Flagler County has provided some of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ fireplace safety tips. Homeowners are urged to:

  • Make sure the damper or flue is open before igniting a fire, closing it only after all embers have stopped burning.
  • Always use dry and well-aged firewood.
  • Understand that small pieces of wood burn faster and produce less smoke.
  • Always clean out old ashes before starting another fire.
  • Have chimneys checked by a professional at least once a year.
  • Clear the area around the fireplace of all potentially flammable items.
  • Never leave a fire unattended.
  • Use safety screens to reduce the risk of burns.
  • Remove fireplace tools, lighters, and matches from areas within the reach of children.
  • Have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed, changing the batteries at least once a year.
  • Have a fire extinguisher nearby.
  • Teach children fire safety tips and help them understand the possible dangers of a fire.

Copyright Southern Stone Communications 2017.

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Comments are closed.

Top