Daytona International Airport Begins $35 Million Taxiway Renovation Project

By on May 21, 2018 in WNDB News

Daytona Beach, FL – The Daytona Beach International Airport is closing its primary air carrier runway for three to four weeks beginning at the end of this month to accommodate a $35 million, two-year project to rehabilitate several of the airport’s taxiways.

The renovation project began in April and is divided into four phases, with the fist phase lasting about a year. The project includes the renovation of the asphalt pavements on Taxiway November, the 75-foot wide, 10,500 feet long primary air carrier taxiway that runs parallel to the airport’s longest air carrier runway. Two other taxiways will also have their asphalt pavements rehabilitated. Several connections will also be me modified, relocated, or removed to comply with Aviation Administration standards.

A grant from the FAA is expected to cover 90% of the total project cost, and the airport and the Florida Department of Transportation will split the cost of the remaining 10%.

During the first phase of renovation, Runway 7L-25R, the longest air carrier runway, will be closed for three to four weeks to make way for the construction. That closure is expected to begin May 31 and continue through approximately June 17.

“It will impact the flight traffic, and there will be possibly some more aircraft noise over the north and south parts of the runways,” says Jay Cassens, director of business development for the airport.

During this phase of this project, all aircraft will use the north-south runway or the east-west parallel runway on the south side of the airfield. There are expected to be more runway shutdowns as the phases of the project continue along.

“We are doing everything we can to coordinate with our stakeholders and community partners,” Airport Director Rick Karl explains. “The multi-day closures may be the most noticeable to neighbors because of the takeoff and landing deviations.” Karl adds that day-to day airport operations should not be impacted.

Photo courtesy sevenMaps7 and Shutterstock.com.

Copyright Southern Stone Communications 2018.

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Comments are closed.

Top