Orange City, FL - The conclusion of the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office’s (VCSO) “Operation The Sun Has Set” has led to the arrest of 21 people suspected of being involved in drug activity in Orange City.
On Tuesday morning, detectives with the West Volusia Narcotics Task Force executed two search warrants at a community known as CJ’s Nursery located at 711 Sunset Ave. For months, the task force received complaints, tips, and anonymous phone calls regarding drug activity at the property.
The warrants allowed law enforcement entry into a two-story residence and a second home on the property. The Sheriff’s Office SWAT, East Volusia Narcotics Task Force, VCSO Districts 2 and 6 Criminal Investigations Divisions, Deltona Narcotics Enforcement Team, and the Orange City Police Department aided in carrying out the warrants. The second warrant was obtained for the second home due to the likelihood that people in the home were also involved in narcotics and harboring fugitives.
The VCSO found 27 people at the property and arrested 21 of them. 62-year-old Charles Mascaro, who lives on and owns the property, was charged with possession of cocaine, possession of meth with intent to distribute, and possession of drug paraphernalia. The following list details the other defendants and their charges:
- Robert Blane Pursley, 32 - Possession of heroin and drug paraphernalia
- Steven Dobos, 50 - Driving while license suspended
- Jason Allen Belcher, 32 - Violation of probation, grand theft, and possession of drug paraphernalia
- Clayton Leach, 41 - Possession of meth and drug paraphernalia
- Alicia Thomas, 40 - Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Nicole Doyle, 25 - Violation of probation, possession of heroin, sale of meth, and possession of drug paraphernalia
- MaryBeth Abello, 37 - Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Lauren Boals, 39 - Possession of meth, cocaine, and drug paraphernalia
- John Hall III, 44 - Sale of meth
- Gene Cutlip, 37 - Littering over 500 lbs
- Cheryl Small, 49 - Possession of meth and drug paraphernalia
- Marlon Stafford, 44 - Writ of bodily possession
- Sabrina Trefren, 41 - Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Stephanie Mack, 35 - Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Crystal Shaffer, 36 - Possession of meth and drug paraphernalia
- Tracie Powers, 43 - Possession of meth and drug paraphernalia
- Sherry Readore, 46 - Possession of meth and drug paraphernalia
- Matthew Kunzig, 49 - Possession of Cocaine and drug paraphernalia
- Craig Ralls, 49 - Violation of probation and possession of heroin, methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia
- Alesia Doyle, 29 - Possession of a firearm by convicted felon and possession of heroin, meth, Tramadol, Amphetamine, Oxycodone, Morphine, Hydrocodone, Carisprodol, Buprenorphine, and drug paraphernalia
Photos of the suspects can be found here
A search of the property resulted in the confiscation of a .35-caliber rifle, 8 grams of meth, 2.3 grams of heroin, 2 grams cannabis, 8 grams hash, 9.5 Amphetamine, 8 Alprazolam, 1 Oxycodone, 2 Tramadol, 3 Buprenorphine, 1 Carisprodol, 1 Morphine, 7 Hydrocodone, 1.7 grams cocaine, and 1.25 grams crack-cocaine.
Volusia County Code Enforcement and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission also found several environmental law violations. According to the VCSO, additional charges for those violations are pending.
VCSO detectives believe that the people who regularly go to the property are responsible for some of the property crimes that take place on the west side of the county. They hope that Tuesday’s arrest will yield positive results and lower the amount of property crime in the area.
“I’m very proud of the great work our detectives and all the units did in arresting these criminals,” Sheriff Mike Chitwood said. “Orange City residents can breathe easier knowing these vagrants are behind bars."
(Photos courtesy VCSO)
Copyright Southern Stone Communications 2018.