Daytona Area Blows Past May Average; More Rain Coming


Daytona Beach, FL - According to numbers from the National Weather Service in Melbourne, May’s rainfall totals in Daytona Beach are higher thannormal.

In total, 5.50 inches of rain have fallen in Daytona Beach so far during the month of May. According to the NWS, this is a 3.99-inch departure from normal.

In the last week (since May 12), 4.82 inches of rain have fallen in Daytona Beach. May 14th saw the most amount of rain in one day this month with 1.74 inches.

The record for the wettest May was set in 2009 when 22.33 inches fell during the month in Daytona Beach, a 19.07-inch departure from normal. The record for the most rain in one day in Daytona Beach during the month of May was set on May 20, 2009, with 6.37 inches.

The bulk of the month’s rain totals fell during a seven day period between May 17 and May 23 where 20.63 inches of rain fell.

According to the NWS, the wet season usually begins in late May, with the median start date being May 30. The wet season can sometimes be delayed until June or even July, which was the case for the latest-ever wet season start date on July 6, 1998. The earliest-ever wet season start date was recorded on May 3, 1966.

This May’s increased rainfall may not yet be over. The NWS forecasts the wet weather will remain in Daytona Beach through Tuesday and could potentially pick back up at the end of the week. The NWS anticipates a 60% chance of rain during Sunday afternoon and a 40% chance of rain Sunday evening.

On Monday, the chance of rain climbs back to 60%. The NWS says there will be a 50% chance of rain during the day on Tuesday.

The chance of rain drops significantly during the middle of the week but picks back up on Friday where the chance of rain is predicted to be 60%. NWS forecasters expect a 60% chance of rain next Saturday as well.

For a more detailed weather forecast, click here.

Copyright Southern Stone Communications 2018.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment