Volusia County, FL — Students interested in earning credit in Driver Education this summer can register now at their home high school. There is no fee for the program and students will earn a ½ elective credit and a paperless waiver of the road test for an operator’s license. Registration forms and driver education brochures are available in each high school’s guidance department. Students must have a learners permit to enroll in this program.
The summer program will begin on Tuesday, July 5, and will end on Tuesday, July 19, with no classes being scheduled on Fridays, except Friday, July 8. Student hours will be from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. Students will need to bring a lunch each day, sunscreen, water and wear closed toe shoes.
The program will be offered at the following high schools (pending enrollment figures and teacher availability):
- Atlantic High, 1250 Reed Canal Road, Port Orange
- DeLand High, 800 North Hill Ave., DeLand
- Deltona High, 100 Wolf Pack Run, Deltona
- Mainland High, 1255 W. International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach
- New Smyrna Beach High, 1015 Tenth Street, New Smyrna Beach
- Pine Ridge High, 925 Howland Blvd., Deltona
- Seabreeze High, 2700 North Oleander Ave., Daytona Beach
- Spruce Creek High, 801 Taylor Road, Port Orange
- University High, 1000 West Rhode Island Ave., Orange City
- All students currently enrolled in a Volusia County public school, School of Choice, private school, or who are in the home-school program and who are eligible to drive will be given the opportunity to enroll in driver education as seats are available.
- Students must be 15 years or older on or before the first day of the session for which the student is enrolled and must have completed one full year of high school on or before the first day of the session.
- Students must have and present a learners permit when registering. Students must also have their learners permit with them on each day of class.
- Students must not have already received credit for driver education.
Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis. If the class meets the enrollment capacity a waiting list will be started. Funding for this program is made available through the Dori Slosberg Driver Education Trust Fund. No district funds will be used to fund this program.
For more information regarding this program, students should contact their home high school.